Main Article Content
The objective of the research is to analyze the effect of Islamic Corporate Governance toward the earnings management of Islamic banks in Indonesia and Malaysia. In South East Asia region, Malaysia and Indonesia are two countries with significant development in Islamic banking and finance. Islamic Banks have different characteristics from conventional banks, however they still deal with the financing risk that could not be claimed, so it is necessary for them to have loan loss provision that lead to the existence of earnings management. The populations of the research are some Islamic Banks located in Indonesia and Malaysia during the period of time 2012 until 2017. The total amount of samples in the research is 108. After conducting the tabulation of data stage, there is no outlier data, so that the amount of final samples remains 108. This research used data panel regression, Fixed Effect model. The result of the research showed that the meeting of Islamic supervisory council, audit committee's independence and the meeting of audit committee have significant effect toward the earnings management, meanwhile the number of Islamic supervisory council and audit committee do not have significant effect on the earnings management.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
With the receipt of the article by Editorial Board of the PERMANA (Jurnal Perpajakan, Manajemen, dan Akuntansi) and it was decided to be published, then the copyright regarding the article will be diverted to PERMANA (Jurnal Perpajakan, Manajemen, dan Akuntansi).
PERMANA (Jurnal Perpajakan, Manajemen, dan Akuntansi) hold the copyright regarding all the published articles and has the right to multiply and distribute the article under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright tranfer from the author to the journal is done through filling out the copyright transfer form by author. The form can be downloaded HERE.
- Abdul R, R. dan Ali, F.H.M. 2006. “Board, audit committee, culture and earnings management: Malaysian evidence.” Managerial Auditing Journal, Vol. 21 No. 7, pp. 783-804
- Ali, A., Kabir, H.M. dan Syed A, B. 2015. “Loan loss provisioning in OIC countries: evidence from Conventional vs Islamic Banks”, Journal of King Abdulaziz University: Islamic Economics, Vol. 28 No. 1, pp. 23-59
- Alkdai, H. H., dan Hanefah, M. M. 2012. “Audit committee characteristics and earnings management in Malaysian Shariah-compliant companies”. Business and Management Review, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 52-61
- Amin, M. A. N. (2020). Apakah Stock Split Memberikan Keuntungan Tidak Normal?. Permana : Jurnal Perpajakan, Manajemen, Dan Akuntansi, 12(1), 9-17. https://doi.org/10.24905/permana.v12i1.90
- Amir, M. dan Rukmana. 2010. Bank Syariah, Teori, kebijakan, Dan Studi Empiris di Indonesia. Jakarta: Erlangga
- Anhara. 2015. “Analisis Faktor-Faktor Yang Mempengaruhi Manajemen Laba (Studi Pada Perusahaan Perbankan Syariah di Indonesia)”. Jurnal Tekun, Vol.VI, No. 01, Hal. 128-150
- Anggadini, D. 2015. ”Mekanisme Pengawasan Dewan Pengawas Syariah dan Bank Indonesia Terhadap Bank Syariah", Majalah UNIKOM, Vol.12, No. 1, hal. 81
- Ascarya. 2006. Akad dan Produk Bank Syariah : Konsep dan Praktek di Beberapa Negara. Jakarta: Bank Indonesia
- Bedard, J., Chtourou, S.M. dan Courteau, L. 2004. “The effect of audit committee expertise, independence, and activity on aggressive earnings management.” Auditing: A Journal of Practice danTheory, Vol. 23 No. 2, pp. 13-35
- Ben O, H. dan Mersni, H. 2014. “The use of discretionary loan loss provisions by Islamic banks and conventional banks in the Middle East region: a comparative study”, Studies in Economics and Finance, Vol. 31 No. 1, pp. 106-128
- Ben O, H. dan Mersni, H. 2015. “The impact of corporate governance mechanisms on earnings management in Islamic banks in the Middle East region”, Journal of Islamic Accounting and Business Research, Vol. 7 No. 4, pp. 318-348
- Boulila, N., Zouari, S. dan Boudrigua, A. 2010. “Do Islamic banks use loan loss provisions to smooth their results?”, Journal of Islamic Accounting and Business Research, Vol. 1 No. 2, pp. 114-127
- Buniamin, S.J.N.H., Raida A.R.N, dan Abdul Rauf, Fatimah Hanim. 2012. “Board diversity and discretionary accruals of the top 100 Malaysia corporate governance (MCG) index company.” African Journal of Business Management, Vol.6 (29), pp. 8496-8503
- Cornett, M., Marcus, A.J. dan Tehraniam, H. 2008. “Corporate governance and pay-for-performance: the impact of earnings management”, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 87 No. 2, pp. 357-375
- Deegan, C. 2004. Financial Accounting Theory. New South Wales: McGraw-Hill Australia
- El D.M.. 2018. Introduction to Earnings Management. Switzerland: Springer
- Furlong, N.E., Lovelace, E.A., dan Lovelace, K.L. 2000. Research Methods and Statistics: an Integrated Approach. USA: Harcrout Brace and Company
- Ghayad, R. 2008. “Corporate governance and the global performance of Islamic banks.” Humanomics, Vol. 24 Issue: 3, pp.207-216
- Ghozali, I. 2013. Aplikasi Analisis Multivariate dengan Program SPSS. Semarang : BPUNDIP
- Grassa, R. and Matoussi, H. 2014. “Corporate governance of Islamic banks: a comparative study between GCC and Southeast Asia countries”, International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Vol. 7 No. 3, pp. 346-362
- Klein, A. 2002. “Audit committee, board of director characteristics, and earnings management.” Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol.33 No.3, p. 375-400
- Kodriyah, S.N.S, dan Octaviani, S. 2017. “Peran Dewan Pengawas Syariah, Komite Audit, dan Dewan Komisaris dalam Mendeteksi Praktik Manajemen Laba”. Jurnal Akuntansi. Vol. 4, No. 2
- Kolsi, M.C, dan Grassa, R. 2017. “Did Corporate governance mechanism affect earnings management? Further evidence from GCC Islamic Banks”. International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Vol. 10 No 1, p. 2-23
- Lafond, R. dan Roychowdhury, S. 2008. “Managerial ownership and accounting conservatism.” Journal of Accounting Research, Vol.46 No.1, p. 101-135
- Manullang, M. 2001. Dasar-Dasar Manajemen. Yogyakarta: Gajah Mada Press
- Al-Nasser M.S.A.S. dan Joriah M. 2017. ”The relationship between agency theory, stakeholder theory and Shariah supervisory board in Islamic banking: An attempt towards discussion.” Humanomics, Vol. 33 Issue: 1, pp.75-83
- Muhammad. 2005. Manajemen Bank Syariah. Yogyakarta : UUP STIM YKPN
- Mulford, C.W. dan Comiskey, E.E. 2002. The Financial Numbers Games: Detecting Creative Accounting Practices . New York: John Wiley dan Sons
- Quttainah, M.A., Song, L. dan Wu, Q. 2013. “Do Islamic banks employ less earnings, management?.” Journal of International Financial Management dan Accounting, Vol. 24 No. 3, pp. 203-233
- Rama, A dan Novela, Y. 2015. “Shariah governance dan kualitas tata kelola perbankan syariah”. SIGNIFIKAN: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi, Vol. 4 No. 10
- Rizqiani, D., & Yulianto, A. (2020). The implementation of sharia audit process, implication of sharia regulatory and human resource aspects. Journal of Islamic Accounting and Finance Research, 2(1), 51. https://doi.org/10.21580/jiafr.2020.2.1.5220
- Saleh, N.M..I.T.M., dan Rahmat, M.M. 2007. “Audit Committee Characteristics and Earning Management: Evidence from Malaysia”. Asian Review of Accounting. Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 147-163
- Suryanto, T. 2014. “Manajemen Laba pada Bank Syariah di Indonesia: Peran Komite Audit dan Dewan Pengawas Syariah”. KINERJA. Vol. 18, No. 1, Hal. 90-100
- Vafeas, N. 2005. “Audit committees, boards and the quality of reported earnings.” Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol.22 No.4, p. 1093-122.
- Xie et al. 2003. “Earnings management and corporate governance: The role of the board and audit committee.” Journal of Corporate Finance, Vol.9 No.3, p. 295-316