Main Article Content
The aim of this research is to examine the impacts of institutional ownership, independent commissioner, and company size on tax aggressiveness. Population of this research are companies that listed in Index Kompas 100 Indonesian Stock Exchange for the year 2014-2018. By using purposive sampling method, 135 companies were selected as samples. The type of data used in this research is secondary data. Meanwhile, the data analysis method that used in this research is descriptive statistics and multiple regression analysis. The analysis showed that institutional ownership has a positive association with tax aggressiveness. While, independent commissioner able at certain level insignificantly able to limit the tax aggressiveness practice. However, firm size affects significantly positive on tax aggressiveness. Further, finding indicates that three variables; Institutional ownership, independent commissioner, and company size together affect the tax aggressiveness.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
- Boussaidi, A., & Hamed-Sidhom, M. (2020). Board’s characteristics, ownership’s nature and corporate tax aggressiveness: new evidence from the Tunisian context. EuroMed Journal of Business. https://doi.org/10.1108/EMJB-04-2020-0030
- Bursa Efek Indonesia. (2019). IDX Stock Index Handbook V1.1. https://www.idx.co.id/media/8572/idx-stock-index-handbook-_-v11-_-desember-2019.pdf
- Chen, S., Chen, X., Cheng, Q., & Shevlin, T. (2010). Are family firms more tax aggressive than non-family firms? Journal of Financial Economics, 95(1), 41–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2009.02.003
- Deslandes, M., Fortin, A., & Landry, S. (2019). Audit committee characteristics and tax aggressiveness. Managerial Auditing Journal, 35(2), 272–293. https://doi.org/10.1108/MAJ-12-2018-2109
- Fama, E. F., & Jensen, M. C. (1983). The Booth School of Business of the University of Chicago The University of Chicago Law School CONTRACTING COSTS AND RESIDUAL CLAIMS : THE SEPARATION OF OWNERSHIP AND CONTROL *. Journal of Law and Economics, 26(2), 301–325. http://www.jstor.org/stable/725104
- Frank, M. M., Lynch, L. J., & Rego, S. O. (2009). Tax reporting aggressiveness and its relation to aggressive financial reporting. Accounting Review, 84(2), 467–496. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2009.84.2.467
- Gunn, A. F., Koch, D. J., & Weyzig, F. (2020). A methodology to measure the quality of tax avoidance case studies: Findings from the Netherlands. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, 39, 100318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intaccaudtax.2020.100318
- Halioui, K., Neifar, S., & Abdelaziz, F. Ben. (2016). Corporate governance, CEO compensation and tax aggressiveness: Evidence from American firms listed on the NASDAQ 100. Review of Accounting and Finance, 15(4), 445–462. https://doi.org/10.1108/RAF-01-2015-0018
- Huang, W., Ying, T., & Shen, Y. (2018). Executive cash compensation and tax aggressiveness of Chinese firms. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 51(4), 1151–1180. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11156-018-0700-2
- Jensen, M. C., & Meckling, W. H. (1976). Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 3(4), 305–360. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90026-X
- Jia, Y., & Gao, X. (2020). Is managerial rent extraction associated with tax aggressiveness? Evidence from informed insider trading. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 0123456789. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11156-020-00898-6
- Kovermann, J., & Velte, P. (2019). The impact of corporate governance on corporate tax avoidance—A literature review. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, 36, 100270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intaccaudtax.2019.100270
- Kubick, T. R., & Masli, A. N. S. (2016). Firm-level tournament incentives and corporate tax aggressiveness. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 35(1), 66–83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaccpubpol.2015.08.002
- Lanis, R., & Richardson, G. (2018). Outside Directors, Corporate Social Responsibility Performance, and Corporate Tax Aggressiveness: An Empirical Analysis. Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 33(2), 228–251. https://doi.org/10.1177/0148558X16654834
- Peraturan Otoritas Jasa Keuangan Nomor 33/POJK.04/2014 Tentang Direksi dan Dewan Komisaris Emiten atau Perusahaan Publik, (2014).
- Milne, M. J., & Hackston, D. (1996). Some determinants of social and environmental disclosures in New Zealand companies. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 9(1), 77–108.
- Muliasari, R., & Hidayat, A. (2020). Pengaruh Likuiditas, Leverage Dan Komisaris Independen Terhadap Agresivitas Pajak Perusahaan. SULTANIST: Jurnal Manajemen Dan Keuangan, 8(1), 28–36. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.37403/sultanist.v8i1.183
- Prastiwi, D., & Walidah, A. N. (2020). Pengaruh agresivitas pajak terhadap nilai perusahaan: Efek moderasi transparansi dan kepemilikan institusional. Jurnal Ekonomi Dan Bisnis, 23(2). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.24914/jeb.v23i2.2997
- Putra, I. G. L. N. D. C., & Merkusiwati, N. K. L. A. (2016). Pengaruh Komisaris Independen, Leverage, Size Dan Capital Intensity Ratio Pada Tax Avoidance. E-Jurnal Akuntansi Universitas Udayana, 17(1), 690–714. https://ojs.unud.ac.id/index.php/Akuntansi/article/view/22025
- Richardson, G., Taylor, G., & Lanis, R. (2013). The impact of board of director oversight characteristics on corporate tax aggressiveness: An empirical analysis. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 32(3), 68–88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaccpubpol.2013.02.004
- Romadhina, A. P. (2020). Pengaruh Komisaris Independen, Intensitas Modal, Dan Corporate Social Responsibility Terhadap Agresivitas Pajak (Studi Empiris Pada Perusahaan Jasa Yang Terdaftar Di Bei Tahun 2014-2018). Journal of Applied Managerial Accounting, 4(2), 286–298. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.30871/jama.v4i2.2489
- Simorangkir, Y. N. L., Subroto, B., & Andayani, W. (2018). Pengaruh Corporate Social Responsibility dan Komisaris Independen terhadap Agresivitas Pajak. Jurnal Manajemen & Kewirausahaan, 6(2). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.26905/jmdk.v6i2.2277
- Steijvers, T., & Niskanen, M. (2014). Tax aggressiveness in private family firms: An agency perspective. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 5(4), 347–357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfbs.2014.06.001
- Tee, C. M., & Rassiah, P. (2019). Ethnic board diversity, earnings quality and institutional investors: evidence from Malaysian corporate boards. Accounting and Finance. https://doi.org/10.1111/acfi.12485
- Wahab, E. A. A., Ariff, A. M., Marzuki, M. M., & Sanusi, Z. M. (2017). Political connections, corporate governance, and tax aggressiveness in Malaysia. Asian Review of Accounting, 25(3), 424–451. https://doi.org/10.1108/ARA-05-2016-0053
- Ying, T., Wright, B., & Huang, W. (2017). Ownership structure and tax aggressiveness of Chinese listed companies. International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, 25(3), 313–332. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJAIM-07-2016-0070